Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Flame Supper Club










While reading a book recently about the Duluth lift bridge history I noticed picture in the book of a tour boat called the “Flame”. That triggered a memory of the Flame Supper club. Once located where the present day Aquarium now stands. This was fancy dining for that time. Not quite certain when it opened but I’m guessing late 40’s or early 50’s. I ate there only once in the very early 1980’s perhaps 1981? Hard to recall that long ago but I know we really were splurging at the time doing so. We quite often camped when in the area or stayed in a inexpensive motel if it was a rainy weekend. So to have that fancy meal was a real treat. I have found no pictures online of the Flame tour boat but it was the predecessor to the Vista Fleet that now provides that service. When I first visited the Canal Park area during that time it was a scrap yard and industrial buildings on the waterfront which now hosts nice motels and the lake walk. Quite the improvement from the past for all of us to enjoy. The Zenith City only gets better in time.
And yes I do post more about Duluth and the North Shore then other areas of the region. But soon there will be more postings about the Lake Superior region as trips are planned for Canada and Upper Michigan.

5 comments:

Andrew Slade said...

I know that old Flame building well: I worked in there for seven years as we developed Lake Superior education programs and got ready to build the Aquarium. In hindsight, we should have just kept that building and the great programs!!!

The roof was the best place in Duluth to watch the 4th of July fireworks, up close and personal.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic history,we ate there many times and did take the dinner cruise on the Flame Excursion boat.
The old old 1970's back in the day. The waterfront has really changed for the better. Tourism really has helped Duluth.

Bayfieldwis.com said...

Duluth on Fourth of July was always a good time. One year we watched the fireworks from one of the Vista Fleet boats. Can't recall which one? The night we saw Bob Dylan and Paul Simon they shot the fireworks into the fog and you couldn't see a thing! I have very vague memory of the Flame. I know we ate there but don't recall much else. I also recall Jeno's pizza down at Canal Park so I know my first visits were 1980 or 1981.
Time flies! Sad today about the house being removed on Superior Street for Walgreen's. This is progress I guess.........

Anonymous said...

The Flame really wasn't that fancy or expensive and was quite the eye sore in later years.

Lisa Kay said...

I remember that Bob Dylan/Paul Simon concert very well! Attending got me in alot of trouble with the current at the time boyfriend as I attended with an ex! The fireworks went up and up and up, but then just exploded as a flash in the fog!