Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Where is the snow and ice?




I never get tired of looking at Satellite shots of Lake Superior. They are fascinating. Where is the snow and what bays are frozen? You can see the inner harbor of the Twin Ports is frozen and Chequamegon bay also frozen over. There have been some very cold nights. Everywhere in the north land has snow cover. The last time Lake Superior was completely frozen over was the winter of 2002-2003 I believe? Correct me please if I'm wrong! The top picture was 2008-09 in which the lake was just about frozen over but not quite. A open area is visible along the Eastern side of the Keweenaw. I do however recall the winter of 1979 which was brutal and the lake was completely frozen over. To this day friends and I talk about working outside in the winter of 1979 when we were young and dumb enough to work outside.


No comments: