Monday, January 11, 2010

Viking Motel


Back in the early 1980's the Viking Motel was our base camp for exploring Duluth and even parts of the Northshore. I found his postcard today and had a good giggle about it. What a interesting design this motel on London Drive had. I'm not sure when it was torn down? Perhaps somebody out there knows? I think it was just south of the Black Woods Supper Club on the
west side of the street. I know before it closed there was a shooting in one of the rooms. I read that in the paper years ago. That was back in the day when going to Canal Park was to see the industrial buildings and even junk cars on the shoreline. Downtown had a few red light businesses also. Have things changed for the better! Duluth is a wonderful city in my eyes.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This is where we always stayed when we made our yearly family vacation to the North Shore! That was in the late 80s / early 90s. I vividly remember that green and driving under the walkway. It was torn down in 2001. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-70476511.html
At that time Canal Park was a nice place to go, from what I remember. Lots of happy memories.